Thursday, May 17, 2007
Has anyone noticed the 'New Moon Chicken Essence' ads before? They are the ones with students who topped their cohort in the PSLE - posing with bottles of the supplement proclaiming their 'support' for the brand.
Somehow, I find this disturbing. Simply because this campaign suffers from a logical fallacy. Something which you could call - 'statement after fact'. That they are top students in fact cannot be attributed (or so I feel)to their consumption of said supplement. The fact is that is is after they were recognised as intelligent individuals, that they were chosen as 'ambassadors'. So, the premise that the supplement having been integral to their past success would not hold.
But, in reality, I doubt anyone bothers with such 'intricacies' of logic - for good or bad may that be. It dawned on me that, advertisements as a whole are in fact riddled with half-truths, omissions and the like. The truth is twisted, churned, mixed, stirred and out comes an amorphous mass of falsehoods and manipulation. 'Star power' = Immediate brand trust it seems.
my mi nd is un.ravel.ling/ 12:48 AM